Thursday, December 16, 2004

XUL For IE Status

So far the challenge to get XUL working under IE is working better than expected. I continue to encounter small challenges and I may have some items working a little in hacker fashion, but I figure a working model may be the best first step. Then I, or others, could work on optimizing the code to be a little more concise and optimized.

I still haven't gotten a web site running for some of these demos, but then again I may want to wait until there is more to show. So far IE is rendering the XUL elements using client-side XSLT. This generates HTML code that mimics XUL user interface components. This XSLT also calls a piece of JavaScript code that adjusts all attached stylesheets to point tag-based CSS rules to class-based ones. Also, the IE-specific stylesheet applies a behavior to all elements.

This HTC works by reading in the parameters from the -moz-binding stylesheet element and parsing out the URL from the ID value. Then, I use client-side XML and XSLT processing to open the file and cache its contents (so I don't need to open it multiple times). Then, I use another XSLT to generate scripts for all the XBL elements. This is run and then I loop through each field, property, method and event and bind these to the current element.

So not only do I have the XUL looking good, but also have some basic properties and events firing as they would in an XUL-enabled browser. This is just a start, but it gives me hope this is possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home